I'm Liz, and I'm a librarian (duh)

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fooling around in Blogger

I was playing around, actually looking at a friend's blog today, and I noticed a totally cool feature of this blog--at the top of the page, if you click on "next blog" you get t look at some random person's blog. I stumbled onto someone blogging under then name "fat guy," that seemed to be his ruminations on being fat (his word, not mine--I'm not weightist), and another one about a Japanese woman in France, doing a tour of all the places she's been and food she's eaten. Fun! Woe unto him that gets this blog randomly...

I think I'm about to go off on a rant.

I think we should post a picture, like huge movie-poster size, in the youth services dept. of the little girl who disappeared in Portugal or Spain or wherever over the summer when her parents left her unattended in their hotel room while they went off to dinner. And under that we should post our unattended child rules--maybe then people would listen! I just spent the last 10 minutes negotiating with this person who was trying to leave her primarily French-speaking 3-year-old in the care of a 7-year-old so she could go off and use the internet. Grr. I know, here's a quarter.

Okay, I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeon. Let's change the subject.

One of the cool things about working with roughly the same population of kids over almost 10 years is that I get to see them grow up! There's a young lady here today that, about a year ago, was a total problem child. She wasn't "Bad," but she was the kind of kid that was here all the time, and when she was here we all knew that we'd spend lots of time disciplining her (keep your voice down, stay on your own computer, keep your hands to yourself, where's your mother). Anyway, she's been here for a couple of hours today and she's been nothing but respectful and well-behaved. What a difference a year makes!

1 comment:

Amy L. said...

Ooooh, I love the idea of the poster with the library's unattended child rules.