I'm Liz, and I'm a librarian (duh)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Customized Search Engines

Before getting into these 23 things I had never heard of Rollyo or any other customized search engines, although it definitely makes sense. If you can tell a search engine like google to look for whatever you want, you should also be able to limit that search by telling the search engine exactly where you want it to search. I fooled around a little and set up my own Christmas shopping search engine, where I put all the places I usually go to look for books, video games, toys and kids clothes. Truthfully, I don't know how much I'll use it, but some of the preloaded limited searches Rollyo offered looked more promising. For instance, I liked that I could do a focused search in either health or parenting, which are two kinds of searches I do frequently. Of course I have my own favorites sites to search, but some of these were included in Rollyo's search so I didn't have to jump around from site to site if I didn't see what I wanted on the first try (plus I could always add my sites to theirs). Here's my embarrassing admission for the day: I have been pronouncing Rollyo as "rolly-o" in my head, and it became clear when I looked at the site closely that they would have me say it as "roll yo." I know, it's semantics, but "roll yo" sounds a lot less dorky than "rolly-o." 50 Cent knows what I mean.

4 comments:

maura said...

hahaha!! i have been pronouncing it "rolly-o" as well!!

clearly, it pays to read the faq.

suem said...

suem said...
Thanks so much for clearing up the pronunciation problem. I too was saying rolly-o. Of course I sounded so much more tech savvy when talking to my tutor/son about this now that I know how to actually pronounce the word.

emj said...

I, too will thank you for clarifying the correct pronunciation of the word rollyo. Sometimes, it's not the mechanics of something that we need help with - it's the simple things like how to pronounce the word.

Amy L. said...

Yep, I was pronouncing it Rolly-o, too. I liked your idea of a holiday gift search engine. I am feeling rather brain-dead about what to do mine about. I am enjoying your blog a lot, by the way, even though you are waaaay ahead of me in library 2.0 and I don't even know what some of the stuff you have done yet is...okay, in search of more "roll yo" inspiration!