I'm Liz, and I'm a librarian (duh)

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Librarian Thing

First of all, I would like to say how proud I am of myself for figuring out how to link my LibraryThing library to this blog! For probably everyone else in the world, that's no big deal, but I'm choosing to view it as a personal triumph. What can I say, it's been a rough couple of weeks and I am taking my ego boosts where I can get them.

Professionally, I don't know how I feel about LibraryThing. My library is fairly large, and the best way I can figure to use it would be for genre lists or something, or maybe some "Youth Services Librarians recommend..." sort of thing, but the fact that it links to Amazon and not our library catalog is more than a little problematic. Personally, I kind of like the chance to see what other people, not necessarily my friends, are reading, but I am not prepared to pay for my account and I am totally going to run out of free space way before I enter all the books I've read. And I am not usually into joining groups/posting to bulletin boards but I did see a few groups of interest, at least to lurk if not to post. One thing I have noticed, though, is that in order to get suggestions that are really to my taste I really have to enter a wide range of books--so far, I have only entered things that I have read recently or am currently reading, which is only 16 books, and I am getting some pretty random suggestions. I'll have to go back a little further and add some of my favorites. But you know, bottom line, I like to read and to hear what others are reading, particularly books for adults which I don't always have time for, so purely from an entertainment point of view it's pretty cool.

1 comment:

maura said...

your librarything widget looks great! yay liz!

i think one of the neat things about librarything (and this would require work up front) is that you can quickly and easily generate lists by the tags you have assigned.

and great for personal reader's advisory!